Sunday, October 6, 2013

Food Stamp Challenge - day 6

Breakfast today was refrigerator muffins - Marty ate 3, I ate 2 - one got frozen for future use ;) This is the original recipe - I only made up a 1/2 batch earlier in the week, and today was the first batch of muffins I cooked from it. Today I added a sprinkle of cinnamon and a diced banana. REFRIGERATOR SWEET MUFFINS 8 3/4 c. flour 3 c. sugar 1 T. baking soda 1 T. baking powder 2 t. salt 4 beaten eggs 3 c. milk 1 1/2 c. oil Sift the dry ingredients ; mix well in center. Combine eggs, milk and oil. Add all at once to flour mixture. Stir until moistened. Sore in tightly covered container in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes. Fill 2/3 full. Fold 1/4 c. riasins, nuts, cherries, peaches, etc. into 1 1/2 c. batter for 6 muffins. 190 calories each, plus what you add.
Marty had milk and I had tea with the muffins -- .36 for his 12 oz milk. .05 for my tea. Muffins .12 each x 5 = $1.01 for breakfast. Lunch was thick sliced ham, warmed in a skillet, fried potatoes with milk gravy, and canned peas (blech - I prefer frozen, but Marty can't have them right now). I sliced the peeled potatoes on the mandolin, so it was quick work.
Marty had sliced/diced up the ham we bought earlier for .99/lb. I heated a few of the thick cut slices in a skillet while the potatoes were frying.
Then I made gravy, while the canned peas heated in a saucepan.
.99 for the potatoes, .75 for the ham, .40 for the gravy, .49 for the peas = $2.63 for lunch tea .05 for me, soda .33 for Marty adds in .38 for a total of $3.01 for lunch Supper was the remains of the sticky chicken $1.85 and baked fries .50 - water for Marty and tea for me = $2.40 total for the day $6.42

2 comments:

  1. It's motivating to read your blog everyday since you are doing this food stamp challenge. You're doing great even if yesterday you ate out.I'm sure you will suceed your challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement Lucie! We're only a week into the month, but so far so good overall. It is a long month though, with 31 days.

      Delete