Tuesday, October 1, 2013

October 1 - it begins

Marty and I both slept late this morning - so we opted to skip breakfast. This is not our normal, and won't be a usual cost cutting means, I promise. I did make up a 1/2 batch of refrigerator sweet muffin batter for use later this week.
For lunch we decided on Braunschiger sandwiches (I've been craving them) and potato chips. Marty had gotten the chips on discount last week . . . 0.69 for an 8 oz bag. We typically eat larger portions than what the bag states. I'm figuring 4 servings from the bag instead of the 8 it says.
So - 4.5 cents per slice of bread, 25 cents for the meat and 17 cents for the chips. 51 cents for my lunch, 60 cents for Marty's lunch. He made is meat into two sandwiches. . . I just wanted one (don't need all the bread), but we both had the same amount of meat. I'm drinking water, as usual. . . Marty had 3 cups of milk for an additional 56 cents. (He drinks out of a 12 oz glass and had 2 glasses of milk) Supper will be sticky chicken and baked cauliflower. The chicken we bought yesterday for 75 cents a pound, the cauliflower we bought a week ago (and it needs used) for $1.50. I'm thinking we'll eat the entire cauliflower tonight and about 1/3 of the chicken. Depending on my time, I may not get pictures posted.
Supper tonight! I figure we ate about 1/2 the chicken, 3/4 of the cauilflower, and most of a tomato. . . $1.89 for the chicken, $1 for the cauliflower and .50 for the tomato (technically ours came from our garden though). $3.39 for the meal. $5.06 total for the day (if we divy up our food allowance for the month by day, we're allowed $8.99 per day)

3 comments:

  1. I want sticky chicken! No fair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff and I went shopping for the challenge today. I blogged about it and will try to update every few days. :)

    ReplyDelete